PLUS, this blanket had everything go wrong. The first time I worked on it, I had all the blocks set up just right on a design board with some sewn together, and my cat jumped on the board and sent them all flying. It took me many months to want to figure it all out again.
When I did, I was working with that sense of "Just get this done," which really never turns out well. My sewing friend (a teen who is learning to sew with me) was helping, and we stitched entire rows incorrectly. Even she was discouraged, and I took on all the seam ripping tasks. I was so glad when it was done. But it is done, and I can now cross an I-Spy quilt off my bucket list.
Anyhow, I bought five charm packs. I cut one pack into four 2.5" squares, so two little squares and two big squares with two black squares made a block. I did the snowball corner thing on the corners of the black blocks to get the bow tie effect and tied on black buttons in the middle of each black section. All in all, it was a pretty simple quilt to make, it's a good size (54" x 72"), and it looks all modern and cool. And the fabric was a screamin' deal – that's the icing on the cake for me, truly.
I bought some more samplers and am working with them now. Stay tuned...
Oh, and both went to Project Linus!