I also did a few blankets for Project Linus, and I have a few more in the works. Members of our local chapter have been meeting monthly. We chose a theme for each month for the year, and for each blanket you make you get to put your name in for a drawing. It's been a lot of fun. The best part is that you can go out of order, or make six of one theme and skip the rest. It gives you the freedom to pursue what works for your creative fancy but also provides ideas to get you outside your comfort zone.
The one below was for the theme, "Forest Colors." I used strips from my collection of leaf colors. It's not really kid-like, but it met the theme and was something I had been wanting to do for awhile. I also cut out charms out of those fabrics, and now I'm looking to give those leaf fabrics to a good home. I am so done with those colors! The close-up picture shows how the corners are done -- you make a corner log cabin, and then you fold a square in half diagonally and enclose the raw ends under the strips surrounding the log cabin. The folded edge is then loose and on the bias, so you can gently fold in under in a curve and stitch it down. I probably should have used smaller squares, but oh well. It's done and out the door!