I sewed a 14" x 13" piece of background fabric to the first piece, and then I cut five 2.5" strips from the 13" width. I did this for all the fabrics, of which there were 10, using a background piece one inch shorter each time, but still 13" in width. One strip from the five was discarded, sadly; I shoot to get maximum use of the fabric, but fell a little short this time. Anyway, then I stitched the short ends of the colored pairs together, making a long colored piece with white on either end. Starting with the middle color, I stitched the two rows together by the full length. Then I added the next shorter solid color to the top and the bottom. I hope this makes sense -- it was a lot simpler than what I'm describing. Anyway, I was liking this concept because there was no stress on matching seams; only the middle seam where I sewed the two strips of the same color together had to match, so that there is one long matching set of dams down the middle. The outer ends of background material I just trimmed to the final width I wanted to make it fit this perfectly perfect piece of fabric in my stash to use as the backing.
Now to move on to the next projects!